Sunday, April 15, 2012

An outline of my dealings with AiG


Dealing with ‘Answers in Genesis’ (AiG) over the years has been a trying and ultimately futile endeavor. It’s become clear to me that if one’s views are not sycophantic of theirs then the road of communication is going to be a bumpy one, no matter how polite one is.

From memory, and whatever paperwork I’ve still got around from those days, I first got in contact with AiG back in January 2003 when I was considering some sort of documentary about them. Carl Wieland was the CEO of the organisation back then and seemed happy for me to undertake such a project. I had met Ken Ham, the founder and undisputed leader of AiG, just before Christmas 2002 and he had mentioned to me that “something” was possibly happening soon, something profound and important. I must have mentioned it to Wieland in a letter because he wrote back saying that whatever the “something” was, wasn’t really that big a deal yet and that any developments would be a long time coming. Okay, cool.

But then things soured. In March 2003 Wieland again wrote to me, but this time he was a lot less friendly. He seemed to be under the impression that I was “pumping” his staff for information about the “something” that might or might not be happening later that year. This was certainly not true.

If it was mentioned it was only in passing, indeed, I had other far more important questions to ask. Obviously word gets around AiG fast, unfortunately, it seemed to travel rather inaccurately. The reports being delivered to Wieland were greatly exaggerated and showed more than a bit of paranoia.

Another problem Wieland had with me concerned the time a staff member at a lecture wanted to know details about me, for example my age, if I was single or married, what was my job, where did I live etc, but I refused; not to be difficult, merely because I just didn’t think it was any of his business. What was I hiding? Something terrible no doubt. Why did an AiG staff member want so many details about me anyway? The letter continued with,

‘Please do not attempt to circumvent this situation via our staff, to avoid the embarrassment of having to be told by them that they will no longer be answering your questions at any level on any subject.’

Whenever I had attended an AiG lecture I always introduced myself to the person giving the presentation, told them my name, what I was doing there and the permission I had gained to be there, then I went and sat quietly in amongst the gathering. When I asked questions I was always polite and respectful and enquired about things that were pertaining solely to their claims and their published works. It seemed apparent to me that Wieland had circulated my name amongst his staff and instructed them not to have any dealings with me. So was this how AiG dealt with an ordinary member of the public who asked sound, reasonable questions: blacklist him.

In their literature they portray themselves as being an honest, friendly and open organisation with nothing to hide, yet they then go and make it apparent that mistrust and suspicion are possibly a very real part of their psyche. Wieland then said ‘You are of course free to write whatever you like and to use material from the public domain or our publications, whatever’.

He then ended his letter by saying that if I had any questions of a ‘seeker’ nature, then I could write to him directly. Exactly what a ‘seeker nature’ is I’m not sure, but if it meant asking intelligent and polite questions at appropriate times with complete respect then that is exactly what I had been doing all along. I just wanted to know about AiG and what their beliefs were. But Wieland took an extremist stance and immediately labeled me as someone his staff had to avoid. His letter was more illuminating than irritating for it clearly illustrated that AiG has no hesitation in shutting out the world, or individuals, who are not kowtowing to them about their claims. I was always sincere and up front and told them what I was working on.

The doco project had changed to become a book and it was that book that I worked on, literally, for years. I even got a publisher interested in it. But my publisher made it clear that I would need permission from AiG for all the quotes I had used from their literature. I thought that if I properly referenced it and used it in a professional, analytic manner then I could get away with it. But no, I had to get their permission, so I wrote to them.

As part of my book I examined, though not in great detail, the split that occurred back in late 2005 and early 2006 whereby AiG dumped their Australian, New Zealand, Canadian and South African offices and only retained their US and UK ones. When I set about seeking permission to use their quotes I was soon put in contact with Anthony J. Biller, AiG’s in-house attorney. (Carl Wieland was gone by this point, heading up ‘Creation Ministries International’ (CMI)). This was early 2011 and Anthony wasn’t too pleased that I was reporting on the AiG split from their founding overseas colleagues. He basically refused me permission to use their quotes and made especial mention of the split. He felt I was republishing “defamatory” material and that the matter of the split had been dealt with and was now old news.

When I queried him on this he offered that if I were to remove the offending chapter re: the split then they (AiG) might look more favorably on granting me the permission I was seeking to get my book published. He went so far as to suggest that, should the chapter be exorcised, then AiG “would not anticipate objecting” to me using their materials, as long as that use was fair etc. Ok, fine, whatever, I’ll take the chapter out. This was in May, 2011.

I then sent him the revised manuscript with the troublesome chapter removed and waited for his response. And waited, and waited, and waited. It wasn’t until December 2011 (seven months!) that I finally heard from him. I believe the only reason he (finally) wrote back was because I had informed him that my first book had now been put aside in favour of a new book that focused solely on the AiG split and that its research material was being sourced from the public domain. In other words, I wouldn’t need his or AiG’s permission in any way shape or form. I had also contacted several people who had experienced, first-hand, the split and surprisingly they were willing to talk to me about it. Certainly made for interesting reading.

Anthony was not a happy chap and seemed to be saying that I had no right to write a book about the AiG/CMI split. He felt that any book that examined the split was going to be illegal in some sort of vague way, though he never specified any actual legal precedents. He was also antsy about who I had been speaking to about the split and wanted their names.

I quickly wrote back to him that there are loads of websites and blogs out there that have discussed and analysed the AiG/CMI split and they clearly exist with impunity, so why get so huffy with me? I also made it clear that I was not beholden to him to reveal my sources.

Anthony wrote back and said, “You have a right to write, however, you also have a duty not to propagate lies, particularly if they hurt people”.

Writing a book that looked at both sides of the argument between AiG and CMI would not be propagating lies in any way, it would rather be an examination of the causes of the split, why it happened and so on. Does this mean that no one can or should have written books about Watergate because it might “hurt people”? For heaven’s sake Anthony, get real.

There was one more email that I sent to him where I basically said that yes I was free to write and that any legal action on AiG’s part would be “selective prosecution” because of the umpteen numbers of other people out there writing about AiG’s behaviour and history. This was, so far, the last correspondence I’ve had with AiG.

It’s a shame that Anthony and AiG in general weren’t more professional and mature in their communications. The amount of suspicion and defensiveness that has emanated from them over the years is quite disturbing, but very interesting. I’m sure to them I’m just a pain in the arse, but from my point of view I worked hard to research their beliefs and I always corresponded with them politely and respectfully.

Should I have expected anything else from them? I guess not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment